How to Get a Passport For a Baby

Every traveler, no matter how young, must have a passport to travel internationally. In an effort to prevent kidnapping and child trafficking, the U.S. Department of State has made it a bit more difficult to get a passport for a small child. Thankfully, our travel agency for vacations, located in Philadelphia, PA, knows how to get your little one the documentation he or she needs before your next big adventure. Follow these steps before you plan a trip abroad with your child.

Fill Out the Paperwork

Visit the U.S. Department of State online and download Form DS-11. Print the form on single-sided paper and complete it. If a question is irrelevant, mark the line with a dash or “N/A.”

Gather Your Documentation

To get a passport for a child, you’ll need the following documentation:

  • Photocopies of both parents’ driver’s licenses, front and back, if both parents are licensed.
  • Proof of citizenship for your child. For this requirement, you can use an original birth certificate, consular report of birth abroad, certificate of citizenship, or a certificate of naturalization.
  • If your child is adopted, you will need your adoption decree.
  • Proof of parental relationship between both parents and the child. If both parents’ names are on the child’s birth certificate, this is sufficient.
  • If you have sole custody over your child, you will need to bring a court-order proving that you are the only person responsible for the child’s wellbeing.

Gather this documentation and keep it handy for later.

Take Your Baby to Get Passport Photos

Even small children need a photo in their passports. Most passport photo centers allow parents to hold their children up against a white background for their photo. No parents may be present in the photo, and your child must have his or her eyes open. Bringing along a favorite toy can help with that.

Visit Your Nearest Passport Application Center

A child cannot get a passport unless both parents who have custody consent. You, your child, and your child’s other parent must all visit your nearest passport agency or post office that accepts passport applications. You can contact the National Passport Information Center to learn about options near you. Bring all of your paperwork and photos to the meeting. If one parent cannot attend the meeting, he or she must complete a notarized statement of consent (Form DS-3053) beforehand.

Pay the Fee

During your visit to the passport agency or post office, an official will guide you through the rest of the process and finalize your application. The fee for a minor’s passport is currently $80 with a $25 processing fee. Bring a check to cover the fee, sign off on any applicable forms, and your little one’s passport will arrive by mail in 4 to 6 weeks.

If you’re in Philadelphia, PA, and dreaming about your next vacation destination, Jet Set Travels is here to help! Give our team a call today to learn more about our kid-approved international packages! 


Get in touch

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)

Your Message