How to Renew Your Passport for International Travel

You’ve walked down the aisle, you’ve said “I do,” and your wedding travel agency in Philadelphia, PA has scored you the perfect international getaway. You’re totally prepared for everything—but is your passport ready to make the journey with you?

Every person, no matter their age, needs a current passport to travel internationally. If you have an international vacation coming up and you need to renew your passport, just follow these simple steps.

First, determine if you’re eligible to renew your passport. Renewing a passport uses an expedited process and is easier than applying for a new one. You’re eligible to renew your passport unless any of the following circumstances apply:

  • Your passport was issued before your 16th birthday
  • Your passport was issued more than 15 years ago
  • Your passport was damaged, lost, or stolen
  • Your passport was issued with your previous name and you do not have a valid marriage license to prove your name change

If any of these apply, you cannot renew your passport. Instead, you must apply in-person using form DS-11.

If you’re eligible for a renewal, download and fill out form DS-82. Package the completed form with your old passport book (don’t worry, you’ll get it back) and any applicable legal name change documents. Staple your updated passport photo to form DS-82 using four vertical staples as close to the edge of the application as possible. Include a check or money order for $110—this is the current passport renewal fee. Make the check payable to “U.S. Department of State.” Do not send cash, a credit card, or any other form of payment besides a check or money order.

Package all of your items together and mail them. The specific mailing address you’ll use depends on where you live. You can view mailing instructions by visiting the Department of State online here. As a general rule, you should try to renew your passport about nine months before it expires. Most passport renewals are returned in about three weeks if everything on the renewal application is correct.

Traveling abroad for the first time in years? Jet Set Travels has wedding travel packages in Montgomery County, PA that can make your honeymoon planning much simpler! Give our team a call today at  215-309-8272 to learn more or get started!


Get in touch

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)

Your Message